Thread: Happy Birthday to Desi Arnaz! Here's a side of him you may have never seen...

Happy Birthday to Desi Arnaz! Here's a side of him you may have never seen...

Happy Birthday Desi Arnaz!

[see brief video below]

Ah, Ricky Ricardo. What has Loocy done now to set your tith on etch??
    Really, though, this man was a true pioneer of television and a great visionary. Lucille was a good businesswoman in her own right; but if you asked Desi (and they did ask) about their success in the business, he ALWAYS attributed it to Lucy.
    I think both their kids would acknowledge that Dad was rather underrated in most of what he did. Of course, CBS didn't believe the American public could accept Lucy being married to a Cuban bandleader to begin with. I recall her reply... "I WAS married to a Cuban bandleader!" She would explain that the execs said that they wanted an "American" couple.
    Everyone knows, at least those of a certain age, that Lucy & Desi eventually negotiated with CBS and it was by the couple assuming some of the risks of the production costs -- by way of retaining the film rights to I Love Lucy -- that the show was born. CBS wanted it produced live on the east coast, with a west coast feed, and leaving only those old fuzzy kinescopes for posterity. Ultimately, Desilu was formed, and the shows were shot on film, with Desi's brand new 3-camera system (still in use today).
    "Loocy....you got some 'splainin' to do!!"

"Worrying about what might happen is a lot more work than dealing with what does."---MtnDudeKen

On my way
    Valencia (most of the time) and Crestline (whenever we can)
    MtnDudeKen, thanks for posting this. It brought a tear to my eye. I Love Lucy reminds me of my childhood and my older brother (he passed away 8 years ago at the age of 40). My brother LOVED I Love Lucy, and so I came to love it too. What a great show! Desi Arnaz was a genius.

Happy Birthday, Desi!

I think I'll try to watch an episode or two today

That was amazing Thank you so much...
    If u visit me here,then you want to know who I am. Therefore ask me to be your friend "Friend". momofdj

Seriously, that made me tear up.

I still watch the show from time to time and have probably seen every episode at least 50 times. It never gets old. I still laugh when I watch them even though I know what will happen. They just don't make shows like this any more.

Love affair with I Love Lucy..watched as a little girl when we got our second TV..the family watched it together..loved it..then my Son grew up with Lucy and loved it..I still watch it..my favorites are the old NY apartment and the old furniture and all the things Lucy got into..Desi too..and Ethel..until Lucy died she loved Ricky even though divorced and spoke with him just before he died..if he could have toned down the drinking and women..they might have made it..but love..it was always there on both sides..I have seen home movies her daughter showed of them first married and soooo in love..Her son had a problem with drinking and drugs too..but her daughter did fine and helped her brother..I love Lucy

It's hard to pick a favorite episode. I have about 6 or 7 I like most. The salad dressing has got to be one. The vineyard vat is another. The chocolate factory is one also. Claire, I agree that the NYC apartment shows were better than when they moved to Danbury, CT. Oh, I saw the freezer episode the other day and laughed my head off.

I hear in real life Lucy was not funny or dipsy like her character. She was always serious.

Thanks Ken! Very cool.
    “Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good.” ~ Vince Lombardi

Pontificator
    Thanks for the video, Ken! Desi Arnaz was also an Army soldier, mostly serving with the U.S.O. after a knee injury providing entertainment to wounded soldiers, but was stationed at Camp Anza during WWII, in what is now the Arlanza area of Riverside off of Van Buren and Arlington.

I know it is not Ricky, but my favorite Lucy scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZK2-Tfc84

Thread Information